Friday, October 11, 2013

This week in my family relations class, we have been discussing culture and class. One of the things that interested me was the many different point of views of classmates on how class in society is determined. Some ways my classmates thought class was determined was by money, their lifestyle, the location people live, education, connections, appearance, and where people work. I came to the conclusion that not just one of these things play a role in deciding someone's class, but all of them play a role in someone's class in society. I also found it interesting how culture and class mix in the views of people. For example, many people have the view that certain cultures are ranked lower in class while other cultures are viewed as upper class.

Another topic discussed this week was if all cultures were equally valid. When I first read this question, I thought that the majority of cultures are equally valid, because all cultures have good values and all cultures have things that could be worked on or fixed. As we discussed this topic in class, I came to realize that no, not all cultures are equally valid. We discussed in class that one of the definitions of the word valid means "to have legal force". We discussed that with legal force there are rules, and that God has set standards for what is right and what is wrong. There are cultures that have more values that follow God's standards than others, thus having me come to the conclusion that not all cultures are equally valid. This week I enjoyed learning the different views on how culture and class, and how these to things play such a large role in each of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment